About the Book
CHRIS-TIA DONALDSON knows what it means to beat the odds. Going from the inner city of Detroit to the Ivy League to founding a successful hair care company and facing brutal trials like breast cancer along the way, she embodies the strength so many women in America aspire to have—and knows how the challenges women face can create remarkable perspective, calm, and understanding.In This is Only a Test, Chris-Tia reflects on her journey as a black woman in corporate America and shares the lessons that life has taught her. From faith, family, and relationships to the importance of embracing gifts and defining success on one’s own terms, she shows how all women can follow their dreams while still staying true to their own needs, physically and emotionally. Letting the world go and finding their own pace.Every woman’s path is different. But the way to get there is the same: keep your head up, rely on your true self, and ultimately, pursue your dreams—no matter what stands before you.
This memoir talks about:
- How I built a multi-million dollar beauty business while holding down my day job in corporate America before having a side hustle was a thing
- How I got my products into Target
- How not prioritizing self-care had a significant impact on my health
- Losing my mom 60 days before starting my freshman year at Harvard
- The challenges that come with dating as a successful black woman and finding love in your 30s
- The impact social media has on our self-esteem
- How my faith sustained me through my battle with breast cancer and helped me overcome business challenges
About the Author
CHRIS-TIA DONALDSON was once just a street-smart girl from Detroit with a passion for hair and a dream of owning her own business. Now a two- time Harvard University graduate, bestselling author, and lifestyle expert, she is also the founder and CEO of a nationally distributed beauty brand, Thank God It’s Natural (tgin). Her products are sold in Target, Sally’s Beauty Supply, Walgreen’s, and Whole Foods, and the company continues to grow. Chris-Tia has been named one of Chicago’s 40 Under 40 and has been featured in USA Today, Marie Claire, Essence, Black Enterprise, Heart & Soul, and the Chicago Tribune.